Adding cheese and baking it is one of the easiest and yummiest ways to enjoy this summer favorite!
I originally got this recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen and have been enjoying it with my own kitchen tweaks for weeks now!
- Enough zucchini to fill a 9×13 pan – it can be zucchini or mix it with summer squash – then cut in quarter moon slices
- 4 tsp basil or use 4 Tbsp fresh basil if you have it on hand although I’ve never done this (or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion or 2 tsp of freeze dried chieves
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat white cheese (I used Mozzarella, but you could use Provolone, Romano, and Parmesan or even the Pizza Blend)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Here’s what to do:
Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 9″ x 13″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray (but if you forget it’ll be ok – guess how I know!). Wash the squash and cut in quarter-moon slices.
Combine the sliced squash, basil, green onions/chieves, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. I do this right in the 9×13 pan, which means less dishes! Season with salt and ground black pepper. Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
When the zucchini is almost cooked, take it out of the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese on top. Put the dish back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned. Zucchini should be fully cooked. Serve hot.
Keeps well in the fridge & heats up in the microwave the next day!
One of my kids will eat this and the other is not a fan but #DairymanDan & I both love it! And I love that I don’t have to shred my zucchini for this recipe!
What’s your go to zucchini recipe? Especially ones that don’t need shredding!